American House Owners Host Tuscarora Academy Fund-Raiser

Tom and Jeanne Cleck Reese, owners of the historic American House in East Waterford, hosted a Spring Fling, April 28, to benefit the Tuscarora Academy.  The American House was built in 1790, and later served as a hotel to stage coach travelers and passengers on the Tuscarora Valley Railroad.  The hotel hosted guests and served as many as 500 Sunday meals, under the ownership of Miss Grace Pannebaker, who passed away in 1960.  The Reese’s gave a history of the building and talked of the restoration of the rooms and furnishings. Jeanne also told stories of local characters like the eccentric Doc Greenwood, and World War II veteran and cook Lehman Hampton. The couple have such a passion for this building that they bought it not just once, but twice. You’ll have to visit to hear that story!

More than 45 attended the fund-raising event. Docents in beautiful period-dresses from Jeanne’s vintage clothing collection guided visitors through the house. Attendees enjoyed tours, history and light refreshments at the event, which raised nearly $500 for the Tuscarora Academy(Story and photos by Susanne Shearer)


Sue Eargle (left) and Shirley Covert visited the American House to attend the Spring Fling April 28.


American House owners Tom and Jeanne Reese hosted a fund-raiser benefiting the Tuscarora Academy.


Gwen Cleck, wearing a vintage dress, explained this was Miss Grace Pannebaker’s bedroom, the only room in the house that was never rented out.

One Response to American House Owners Host Tuscarora Academy Fund-Raiser

Leave a Reply